Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Metallica Thread
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2021, 04:28 PM   #565 (permalink)
Maajo
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3 View Post
Agree to disagree. I loved the last two. Tracks like Atlas Rise, Moth to Flame, and Spit out the Bone were exactly what I wanted.

Also, it's a little bit of a reach to say "at least they tried something new" on St. Anger when it was a bad imitation of SoaD. Load through St. Anger was the band doing other people's styles. At least Hardwired was them doing their own sound. Yes, not in the Top 3 albums they have but they're 38 years in.

I'll never understand why they want bands to retire. Making new music doesn't kill the old music. You still have that. Why the freak out?
Those were awesome tracks, but you picked the three best tracks from the last two albums right there to be honest. I get that it's the band going back to their thrash roots, but that's not really what I want to see necessarily. If anything you're reaching to say that they weren't attempting to do something new when they did St. Anger, I think you're confusing originality with the band going in a different direction, they're entirely different concepts.

I would rank the last two as their two worst albums. I still got some enjoyment out of them but overall they had the most tracks that bored me. I'm not really ripping the band and trying to say that they should be done, I just think their output has been overly safe which I guess is the path that most bands take later in their career when they're not as hungry, not as bold. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, but I'm not required to think that their output is good or anything like that.
Maajo is offline   Reply With Quote