Music Banter - View Single Post - Chess
Thread: Chess
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2021, 02:32 PM   #107 (permalink)
Maajo
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
have you ever seen The BongCloud?

there's a rumor that Bobby Fischer played a set online against a GM using some variation of this suspect opening pictured in the video thumbnail there

idk if you can win against good players without knowing how to open but you can win with crap openings against the best players in the world

That didn't actually happen I don't think, as Nigel Short actually says now that he's certain it wasn't Bobby Fischer, but probably someone using an engine lol. It sounds hard to believe that it was an engine user in 2000, but I believe it and I think they did have them back then although I think engines were more beatable at the time. Bobby Fischer was easily the best player of his time, but in 2000 he probably was very out of shape and I doubt he could have obliterated someone as strong as Nigel Short while giving him a massive advantage in the opening.

You definitely don't need to know opening theory when you're lower leveled, you need to focus on not blundering your ****. When I was 900 in rapid a couple of years ago, I just remember how often other players would hang their pieces or walk right into a fork or play a random move when they had to defend against mate in one. That's how you get better when you're under 1000 is becoming more tactically sound.
Maajo is offline   Reply With Quote