Music Banter - View Single Post - The end of musical innovation
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2021, 11:12 AM   #55 (permalink)
TheBig3
killedmyraindog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guybrush View Post
One might argue that it's more innovative in the field of AI than it is in music, but I do find AI-made stuff interesting
You might try Dawn of Midi which is human musicians attempting to create computerized music. I haven't heard them in years but it was absolutely a unique listen if nothing else.

As a general response to the original question, I think I'd say music sounds like it's dying because it's getting fewer barriers. Throwing out the rules works when music is highly structured and (social) movements are clearly defined but if there are none, throwing out the rules just starts to sound like noise.

All the old tropes don't have anything to push back against. No artist wants to sound like another, everyone wants to be experimental, push boundaries, do blah blah blah. That's great if there are boundries.

You could imagine a world in which movements actually allow people to find more tastes because it's easier to zone in on what people want to hear. The indie-rock stuff that came out from 2001-2015 (which is my favorite period of music) because if you had one foot in the movement, you could put your other foot wherever you wanted.

Today it's much harder to say "If you like X you'll love Y" with any reasonable certainty. That said I've lived in timers where the music industries Copy/Paste formula was insufferable. But hey, when things get too big the little guys do better.