Music Banter - View Single Post - The Environmental Watchdog MasterThread
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2021, 06:11 AM   #852 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Might be true on a level, but

Exxon Knew about Climate Change almost 40 years ago

The funding of climate change denialism from the oil industry is also a tacit admission of foreknowledge. Even going back to the early industrial revolution, people in England seemed to widely recognize the direct impact of the recent industrialization on the environment.
Yes, that's true - and on a local scale the damage done to the environment was there to be seen from Day One of the industrial revolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteater View Post
Lisna, ... You don't need to be such a literalist ...
Yes, I was scoring a rather petty point there. I think you brought out the literalist in me when you effectively rounded down 15% to zero to suit your argument.

__________________________________________________ ____

In Britain, the UN Report was headline news for all of yesterday's newspapers. Here's a good example:

Amid the alarm, there are some calls for, and even hints of, government action, although, of course, a lot of that outrage will probably disappear by tomorrow.
I use a website that shows me the front page of every major Brit newspaper, so I can report with confidence that not one of them has adopted the Anteater argument, " No point doing anything, because China...", even though, according to his pie chart, Britain is responsible for a mere 1% sliver of global emissions.
The implicit judgement of the British media is that, even at 1% UK versus 30% China, the argument doesn't fly, or, as elphenor puts it:-

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
Bruh nobody care about your China thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
It's always been pretty popular.
Yes, from my reading of history, it's always been too popular for its own good.