Music Banter - View Single Post - The Environmental Watchdog MasterThread
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2021, 03:51 PM   #858 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteater View Post
Just out of curiosity, would you still be taking this particular stance if they were 70% as opposed to a meager 30%? What if the U.S. was 50% instead of 15%? The general consensus in regards to all these numbers is that the countries that contribute the most to the problem should be taking the initiative in some way to solve the problem moreso than the countries that contribute least. That was the sentiment of the BBC anyway. Other organizations and media outlets have some variation of the same opinion.
I'm guessing these "what ifs" are addressed to me, so I'll make a comment if I may.

I don't think your changing numbers would alter my position particularly: my position being that it is a mistake for any country to say that another country "should be taking the initiative in some way". I'm not sure why that is your take-away of "the general consensus". My attitude now, (and since the beginning of this thread) has been about individuals and individual countries cleaning up their own acts. As far as I can tell, the Brit media, the Paris Accord signatories and many posters here take a similar position. I haven't seen much endorsement of your idea that China must act first.

Quote:
And just FYI - regardless of my particular opinion on these subjects, it's pretty much a given that countries like the U.K. are going to try to do what they can to combat this problem. The purpose of that data is to give the international community some idea of priority in regards to who should be doing what.
To me, the bold seems to contradict what you said in your first paragraph, Anteater

Quote:
Hence my comment on China's coal use.
At last! Something we can agree on!!