Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart Falls Into The Twilight Zone
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2021, 07:19 AM   #55 (permalink)
rubber soul
Call me Mustard

Okay, to catch up again.

The Chaser: Did I mention the Twilight Zone didn't do comedy as well as the other genres? Well, sorry to disagree with you on this one, Trolls, but this is one of them. Shackleford seems about as desirable as the Trix rabbit and Leila is so self-centered, it's amazing she didn't marry herself. And couldn't they have come up with a better name than Professor A. Daemon? (rating: C)

A Passage For Trumpet: Now we're getting to who I think is the best Twilight Zone actor. I'm talking about Jack Klugman (later of the Odd Couple TV Series and Quincy M.E) and he's excellent in all four episodes he was in. This, arguably, may be his best as a washed up musician who gets a second chance at life. A shout out also to John Anderson, who plays the angel, Gabriel. I think this is my favorite episode of the first season (Rating A ++)

Mr. Bevis: Again, Serling isn't necessarily the best comedy writer. At least they had the good sense to use Orson Bean as the lead and he's such a likeable character it's hard to rate this one as badly as The Chaser. Still, it's not particularly funny or even all that well written despite the efforts of Bean and Henry Jones, who plays the guardian angel. So, it doesn't do that much for me. (Rating B-)

The After Hours: Another rare Twilight Zone where the female lead shines. This time it's Anne Francis, a familiar face of the period and already a veteran of sorts. And she's excellent here as the befuddled shopper who is being tormented by mannequins only to realize that she herself is one just coming back from a vacation. Very likeable episode and strangely sweet at the end (Rating: A)

The Mighty Casey: Well, we agree on this one, Trolls. This episode truly does suck. Did I mention Rod Serling sucks at comedy? And there is no one to save him here. Jack Warden doesn't have the affability Orson Bean had in Bevis, and Casey, well, he is a robot isn't he? Even a die hard baseball fan has to go for the barf bag after this one (Rating: D-)

A World Of His Own: Like I said, Rod Serling sucks at comedy. Fortunately, Richard Matheson doesn't, at least not here. As such, the first season ends on a good note. Keenan Wynn carries this premise quite well. Yeah, I can see the misogyny in this (It is 1960 after all) but you can't help but like the guy and maybe even feel a little sorry for him (he seems a bit lonely to me), I also like Phyllis Kirk as the high maintenance wife. This is the first on camera appearance of Serling and he's actually perfect as West has to make him disappear as well. Of all the "comedies", this is probably the best (Rating: A)

See you in the next season, Trolls.
rubber soul is offline   Reply With Quote