Music Banter - View Single Post - The Wow I Can't Believe That News Story Thread
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2021, 10:20 PM   #24645 (permalink)
jwb
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
I think your emphasis is backwards. I don't think American politicians who don't have the will to build infrastructure in their own country ever gave a **** about infrastructure in Afghanistan. They just wanted military bases. And I doubt they gave a **** about building any kind of political infrastructure either. Just make sure your puppets are willing to take your money. And the military leaders probably just wished they could have turned the whole country into a crater.

I'm guessing any "good" Afghanis weren't corrupt enough to exist in the soon-to-be-not-current regime.
Yeah i also disagree

What most people don't realize about the Soviet invasion is that, not that I'm defending the soviets, but they invaded after the local govt requested intervention. Because the govt at the time was allied with the USSR and was losing its grip on control of Afghanistan because insurgents who styled themselves as mujahideen or afghani nationalists... And they resented how the govt was pushing western/modern ideals like sending women to school, being more secular, etc. And the US was funding them before the soviets invaded. Yes, you heard me right. Not only were the soviets requested to intervene, but they were requested to do so after countries like the US and pakistan helped destabilize their country through covertly funding rebels to undermine the local govt and thus the Soviet sphere of influence in afghanistan. After said rebels bleed the Soviet invaders dry with asymmetric guerilla resistance, we no longer had a dog in that fight so we pulled out any involvement and allowed the inevitable power vacuum to devolve into inevitable chaos as different groups engaged in bloody civil conflict until the Taliban came to control most of the country.

So yeah... Afghanistan didn't drop the ball here. They really never had a ball to drop in the first place.

Last edited by jwb; 08-14-2021 at 11:46 PM.
jwb is offline   Reply With Quote