Music Banter - View Single Post - Frank Zappa Appreciation Thread
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2021, 03:19 AM   #355 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin_Station View Post
So, let's imagine that you're going to write a song about a groupie who is notorious for hooking up with crew members. To make it "respectful," instead of writing it as "Crew Slut," you'd write is as?
I'd probably just give her a name or call her girl or woman and somehow, without judgment, describe her joy of having sex with members of the band. Why would I have to invoke a derogatory term at all?

If you feel like you do need a term, I think bob's suggestion "groupie" covers it in a way which is both explanatory and less derogatory.

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
I never bothered to seriously investigate Frank Zappa, having heard maybe an hour's worth in total of cuts from various albums, and not particularly liking any of them. This thread has made me even less inclined to spend any more time on him.
I hope you do check him out. Musically, he's just about the most interesting character from US rock history with a ton of great material. Around 1980, he goes in for shock value. He was a bit of a misanthrope and for a while, I do think he enjoyed notoriety and wanted to give the middle finger to the people who wanted to censor him. He grew out of it and spent his last years focusing more on classical, jazz and modern experimental music. You can easily avoid his "gross" period by avoiding the records made around 1980, though aside from some tasteless jokes, they're still clever, funny and musically great (especially Joe's Garage for me).

My favourite album is The Mothers' One Size Fits All which, to most people, should be unproblematic. He also made gorgeous stuff like this:

Last edited by Guybrush; 08-28-2021 at 03:34 AM.
Guybrush is offline   Reply With Quote