Music Banter - View Single Post - Frank Zappa Appreciation Thread
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2021, 05:04 AM   #357 (permalink)
Terrapin_Station
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
"Groupie"?

I never bothered to seriously investigate Frank Zappa, having heard maybe an hour's worth in total of cuts from various albums, and not particularly liking any of them. This thread has made me even less inclined to spend any more time on him.
I'm not sure what you're asking there. Are you not familiar with what a groupie is?

Zappa has a song called "Crew Slut" that's about groupies (or perhaps a particular groupie that he had in mind) who were (was) known for hooking up with the crew. (Groupies often do this as an eventual "in" to the band, but some also just like crew guys.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guybrush View Post
I'd probably just give her a name or call her girl or woman and somehow, without judgment, describe her joy of having sex with members of the band. Why would I have to invoke a derogatory term at all?
Seeing "slut" as necessarily negatively judgmental is part of the problem. That's not actually how meaning works in general (that any word has any necessary connotation).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mucha na Dziko View Post
It wouldn't be the same song if you would be "describing her joy off having sex with the band", because it's from the perspective of a band that wants to get laid in any town possible.

Frank Zappa has created for all of his songwriting this character of a seditious, cynical joker. That was his idea, and it doesn't seem to actually hurt anyone. He's a quite different person when interviewed – full of reserve, reason and sense. Also he is certainly the last person to actually think that a girl having sex with band members is a "slut" or anything, so why bother?
Well, and I don't think "slut" is meant as something with a negative connotation. Zappa certainly doesn't think that it's something negative for a woman to like having sex with crew members (and this song is about the crew, not the band).

We're also overlooking the way that "crew slut" fits the tune musically--the rhythm of the phrase, the way the phonemes work in the musical phrase, etc. All of that stuff is very important. You'd have to write at least slightly different music if you're changing the lyrics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
rap metal sounds like it could be your favorite genre
Rap metal/rap rock/groove metal/funk metal/nu metal, which I lump all together, is one of my favorite subgenres (of a list of about 50 favorite genres/subgenres)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
I am not calling everyone "pretentious" in fact I'm doing the opposite. I am trying to divert that accusation being levied against someone who thinks independently both on a philosophical and on a creative level.
"Pretentious" is one of the dumber terms of criticism anyway.
Terrapin_Station is offline   Reply With Quote