Music Banter - View Single Post - What went wrong with so many artists/bands from the 60s and 70s throughout the 1980s?
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2021, 07:02 AM   #66 (permalink)
rubber soul
Call me Mustard

To jump into the Sly-Troll fray a little:

Actually Aerosmith, thanks to the jumpstart by Run-DMC, ended up with a string of hits from the late eighties into the nineties and, commercially at least, may have been even more successful then than they were in the seventies.

As for the others, I tend to lean more towards the creative side than the commercial side. Bowie probably had his biggest commercial success in the eighties; I remember Lets Dance being huge in its day. But critically, well, he wasn't exactly Ziggy Stardust, was he? Again, he would get back on track and would enhance his legend.

I have to admit I haven't heard much from Joni Mitchell past the seventies either and she was one of the decade's best songwriters. She's still out there though. Maybe it's all just about getting older and having new interests (Paul Simon did some of his best work in the eighties) or maybe just wanted to make more money or simply wanted to retire, who knows?
rubber soul is offline   Reply With Quote