Music Banter - View Single Post - Frank Zappa Appreciation Thread
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2021, 10:32 AM   #367 (permalink)
Terrapin_Station
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
It's the level of seriousness that the uncritical fanboy stance deserves.
"Critical" doesn't mean "negative." It implies analysis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guybrush View Post
The point that seems perpetually lost on Terrapin and probably Mucha is it's not Crew Slut. It's every song that features women in any capacity. It's in the bovine perspiration of Dynah Moe-Humm and in the tiny mustaches of the Catholic Girls. Frank seems to want them sexually (only), but at the same time can't help shaming them in some derogatory way. It's not a deal-breaker for me, but the big picture is certainly a misogynist one.

Who would think a rock star from the 60s with song titles like Easy Meat and Crew Slut would be misogynist? Controversial, I know.

If you're locked into your position or simply don't agree, that's fine. We don't have to agree.
I don't usually agree to disagree though. I want you to not be wrong, to not have unsupportable misconceptions, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber soul View Post
Pretentious and disliked aren't necessarily the same thing. I happen to think Morrissey is pretentious too and yet I love the Smiths (and even some of Morrissey's solo material). Zappa, I'm not so sure. I know he flipped out the cast of SNL when he made his one and only appearance there and he talked in parables at the PMRC hearings. The music still stands out as occasionally brilliant though.
It's dumb as a criticism because of how the term is conventionally defined: "attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed."

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadis View Post
I view [ideas] as sites of contestation,
??
Terrapin_Station is offline   Reply With Quote