Music Banter - View Single Post - Frank Zappa Appreciation Thread
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2021, 04:50 PM   #387 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mucha
If Zappa was acting this way in real life – his everyday life – that would make him misogynistic. If he is consciously writing lyrics that are supposed to be scandalous, shocking or anything of this sorts, then he is not misogynistic.

In my original comment I was only trying to say that I don't get it why this discussion about Zappa hass to be so ad personam towards him. The poor bastard never dd nothing wrong as far as I recall.
And a lot of people find his lyrics rather funny (sure, some more, some less, some not at all) than spiteful (our meant to offend anyone – maybe apart religious people).
He doesn't always hide behind characters. And perhaps you didn't read the whole discussion, but I already commented on the real world FZ. Banging groupies was his vice, to his wife's dismay. He says so on camera, adding that Gail grumbles, but what's she gonna do? She's his wife.

When Marc Maron asks Moon Zappa on his podcast about weird things growing up in the Zappa household, she tells him they had groupies living with them. He also managed the GTOs which was a group made up of groupies.

The very likely reason his vices don't come up much is because if you are a documentary maker, you need access to material - the Zappa vault. You're not gonna get it unless you cooperate with Gail Zappa/the estate and agree to terms that will basically protect the legacy of FZ.

Gail is fiercely protective of FZ's legacy and everything else, even suing the Zappanale festival for using the iconic Zappa stache in their marketing.

He was by and large a good dude and a genius, but by no means a saint. You believe he was above misogyny?

Last edited by Guybrush; 08-28-2021 at 05:05 PM.
Guybrush is offline   Reply With Quote