Music Banter - View Single Post - What went wrong with so many artists/bands from the 60s and 70s throughout the 1980s?
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2021, 07:21 PM   #68 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber soul View Post
To jump into the Sly-Troll fray a little:

Actually Aerosmith, thanks to the jumpstart by Run-DMC, ended up with a string of hits from the late eighties into the nineties and, commercially at least, may have been even more successful then than they were in the seventies.

As for the others, I tend to lean more towards the creative side than the commercial side. Bowie probably had his biggest commercial success in the eighties; I remember Lets Dance being huge in its day. But critically, well, he wasn't exactly Ziggy Stardust, was he? Again, he would get back on track and would enhance his legend.

I have to admit I haven't heard much from Joni Mitchell past the seventies either and she was one of the decade's best songwriters. She's still out there though. Maybe it's all just about getting older and having new interests (Paul Simon did some of his best work in the eighties) or maybe just wanted to make more money or simply wanted to retire, who knows?
This troll is not sly.

PS OP, I have no idea what you mean by EWF comment? Maybe you're confusing it with my NLF one: Nothing Lasts Forever. As for being unable to change what's happened, hell son, I gave you the facts as they were written. You don't want to accept them, that's up to you. But you can't make it be the way you want it to be, when it's another way entirely.

Anyhoo, I got work to do so have fun dumping on everything from 1980 on. Doesn't bother me, but pretending something was one way when it wasn't kind of does.

Edit: Oh wait I get it. EWF. Earth Wind and Fire. Right. Well, I'm not sure I said anything there that wasn't true.

Edit edit: so basically the answer to your question in the OP, OP, is nothing. Some artists got older, some fell out of favour with the public (seen as old/uncool/so over/unhip/add eighties phrase of your choice here), some tried to go new directions, with varying results. Some perhaps had their money made and just turned out albums to fulfil contractual obligations. And again, as I said, NLF. And it doesn't. So there's no big mystery here. People's tastes change, both those of artists and of fans, and sometimes they diverge. It has happened in every decade and surely will continue to happen.

Just popped back from 2029 where the buzz is "Why did Taylor Swift lose it after 2020?" See?

Last edited by Trollheart; 08-28-2021 at 07:28 PM.
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote