Music Banter - View Single Post - Frank Zappa Appreciation Thread
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2021, 05:55 AM   #414 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin_Station View Post
Good reading comprehension. I wish I could say I'm surprised.

What I said was that if Zappa's lyrics are misogynistic then I must not understand what someone has in mind by misogynistic. Because on my view his lyrics aren't misogynistic.

Zappa said nothing in lyrics about women being "exclusively sexualized," but even if he had, that wouldn't be misogynistic, unless you'd have some unusual thing in mind re what "misogynistic" denotes.

If we say that "Zappa exclusively referred to women in a sexual manner" that would be different than "Zappa referred to women as exclusively sexualized" by the way.

Re "childish" you'd have to specify anything you're reading that way.
Oy vey. The old "If it wasn't in the quotation, it wasn't read."

I think the difference between us is that I'm viewing the lyrics within the context of a misogynistic and sexist culture that can readily be affirmed by a popular artist, where you're viewing the situation through abstracted dictionary definitions as obvious parameters for reality to exist under. My piece is clear here, I guess we'll agree to disagree. It's not something I like to do since I don't like you having the wrong ideas or misconceptions but I think it's the best route to go.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote