Music Banter - View Single Post - Frank Zappa Appreciation Thread
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2021, 03:39 PM   #460 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Then we'd have to split the douchebag thread into Zappa is a douche because of x and Zappa is a douche because of y, forever fracturing the conversation to the point of each member getting their own Zappa thread.
I'd like a thread of "Zappa Fans Who Disagree With Terrapin's Take On Meaning" please. Because I'm not remotely buying into this idea:-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin_Station View Post
Meaning is subjective. It depends on what an individual has in mind, how the individual is thinking about the term in question. There's no necessary way to think about a term, positive, negative, or whatever.
"Five disgusting cockroaches" Does this term depend on what an individual has in mind? How can it mean anything except a precise number of insects that the speaker dislikes? If an individual has "three nice ponies" in mind, that's a misinterpretation; it's not, imo, an equally valid, subjective way to think about the term "five disgusting cockroaches".
(Examples of "five" not meaning 5 and "disgusting" used in a way that is not negatively judgemental would be appreciated, plus, for good measure, a subjective meaning for cockroach that is significantly different from what I'll find if I google "cockroach".)
__________________________________________________ _

Quote:
I'd rather talk about the music too so I'll just remind everyone of how underrated Läther is. I'd still call myself a fan despite my criticisms.
I'm guilty of contributing to this underratement. I never listen to Läther, and I can't remember why.