Music Banter - View Single Post - Musical Culture Appropriation?
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2021, 06:07 PM   #39 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mucha na Dziko View Post
It's not that easy to predict what people will find disturbing.
That's probably why it's better to address existing complaints instead of inventing future ones, right?

I glossed over the Sinatra discussion so not sure if it's been brought up, but an important note is that his version was performed the a NAACP event. If I were him I might've adapted the lyrics or introduced it along the lines of it being a shared struggle to account for him taking on a black man's perspective or something but I wouldn't call that an egregious case.

50s exotica is a better example of cultural appropriation since a good deal of it creates an alien version of what white people imagine the music of a country sounds like. That occasionally took over the public perception of what those regional musics sounded like, closing many nonwesternized traditions out of the spotlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mucha na Dziko View Post
This isn't the same thing.
This is actually "using someone" or someone's art to make yourself rich. It has nothing to do with cultural appropriation.
It's an analogy that attempts to individualize a pretty dispersed scenario, it's not going to be 1:1.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote