Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Computer Tech Support Thread
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2021, 09:04 PM   #2247 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Update on my monitor woes: it turns out, or seems to have done, that it wasn't the monitor but the cable.

A while back I considered this but had no other cable to test the monitor with, so I ordered a DVI cable. When it arrived it turned out I had ordered the wrong one. Did not know there were different ones, but there are. I had got a single-link when I needed a dual. D'oh!

I went about ordering the right one, but meanwhile my search for a not-too-ridiculously-priced 24-inch monitor was running aground, so when I finally found one that suited me (refurbished HP, 105.00 Euro) I went for it. If the cable arrived and it changed things, well, great, but if it arrived and didn't, and I hadn't ordered the monitor, went back to get it and it was no longer available, not so great. So I ordered the monitor.

Unsurprisingly, the cable arrived first (this morning) and I plugged it in. Lo and behold! My screen did not jump. It did not, in fairness, do anything. It was entirely black. After some fiddling about with settings achieved through the connection with my TV (which is serving as a second monitor) I was able to get it working, and so far there hasn't been a flicker.

So the new monitor is yet to arrive, and when it does I guess I'll put it in storage until this one actually dies. At the moment, this one is going great, and I do like it, so there's no real need to replace it, but at least when I do need a new one I have one.

So in some ways I made the wrong decision and could have saved myself money, but in the long run it's not money wasted, as this monitor surely will not last forever. But one way or another, it seems my days of trying to get work done in between the blips and flashes are over. Hallelujah!