Music Banter - View Single Post - Political Discussions for "Adults"
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2021, 10:44 PM   #9409 (permalink)
jwb
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3 View Post
While I can understand this argument, it doesn't seem to be able to travel far. The withdrawal was botched. Let's assume it was due to incompetence* It could have been three times as bad and I'd still be left with two thoughts:

1. It was right to leave
2. Biden was the only President that did it

*I'm not going to the mat to argue it wasn't incompetence, but I know Biden felt Obama was jammed by the Generals on his withdrawal. And I'm certain the Bay of Pigs-to-Cuban Missile crisis was on his mind. I suspect that, in some part, Biden just said "I don't care how bad it is - get out" as a checkmate to the Generals, who very well could have tried to make this bad to keep the war going. Again, even if this is all Biden's fault, so what? We're out. And that's the right call. 20 years of ****-ups, and the doddering Oldest President we've ever had got the job done when your saviors couldn't.

That's a fair argument. But it's still an issue of relativity. I haven't seen any push for some other issue like there was for the "Leaving Afghanistan is miserable!"
Again, saying it's a good thing in the long term that we are out is fine but that doesn't mean the media isn't going to cover the ****ed up **** that is happening in the meantime right now... I don't understand why anyone would expect any different. They aren't picking on Biden. Any president who presided over this mess would have gotten the same coverage. I dare say it would have been even juicier if Trump had done it.

As for the idea that Biden was just so committed to getting out that he would accept how bad it got .. to me it really looks at it they just had really poor intelligence and completely underestimated the severity of the situation. If they had anticipated it i would think they would have been a little more prepared than they were...

I will say they did a decent job turning it around after the initial botch... The mass evacuations since then have been more successful... Something like 100k people from what i heard. I dunno if this will actually impact Biden that much long term or not but i refuse to sit here and praise him for this ****... Even the simple decision of pulling out... An easy decision to make at this point. Like you said very popular support for ending the war after 20 years. It's not that Biden is any wiser than Obama imo it's just a matter of timing.

Last edited by jwb; 09-03-2021 at 11:28 PM.
jwb is offline   Reply With Quote