Music Banter - View Single Post - Political Discussions for "Adults"
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2021, 09:36 AM   #9424 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb View Post
you make it sound like the medias job is to educate or even to give us the correct political takes

Their job is to sell papers, sell clicks, sell headlines. That's the way it's always been. When people are falling from planes trying to escape that's just a way juicer story than some sorta somber reflection on imperialism.

I understand why you say they "implicitly support hegemony" but at the same time they will spout whatever is popular at the time when it suits them regardless of any hypocrisy. Nobody is going to "hold them to task" for that. They would put pressure on Trump to explain why he hasn't pulled out more troops, for example. We sat here and watched them do so during the election. They aren't afraid to take on an "anti war" stance when it suits them.

But if they turned a blind eye to what's happening just because in principal they agree with the vague notion that withdrawing is good, that would neither help them sell papers nor would it be particularly good journalism. People are dumb but they aren't so dumb that they can't see what's happening and realize there's something ****ed here.

You don't need to be a master chef to know when a chef over cooks your steak. The chef can always rebuke you with the response "well you said you wanted steak. Now you complain when i give you steak." Which is technically true but doesn't change the fact that you burned my ****in steak bro.
But in the context of the full conflict or imperialist venture this makes perfect sense. We didn't put any great physical or mental effort into setting up a functioning state that could survive without our direct military or economic intervention, and any coverage that doesn't take that kind holistic view of the current situation is going to be less than useless.

And sure they care about money but so does Fox News, and that doesn't stop them from functioning with an ideology.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote