Music Banter - View Single Post - Albums that turn 50 this year
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2021, 02:07 PM   #22 (permalink)
Eleanor Rigby 14
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber soul View Post
I didn't really comment on Nick Drake because I've only have heard snippets of him, mostly Pink Moon to be honest. I do know he had absolutely zero recognition when he was out in the early seventies. He didn't become known until decades after his death. I first heard his music in a Volkswagen commercial in the late nineties and it was about that time people started hearing about him. Would he have been popular today in the fractured genre culture we live in today? Maybe, perhaps in the folk field.

It's just a shame he couldn't get the recognition when he was alive.
I thought he had been really famous, not at the same level as Neil Young, but maybe like Jim Croce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guybrush View Post
Bryter Layter may be his best album even if it doesn't have a song quite as strong as River Man from his debut.

Today, emerged from obscurity, everybody seems to love Nick Drake. He's a tragic figure and died very young, which is of course interesting.

In my own music listening habits, he doesn't quite have staying power over large amounts of time. The mostly unspoken reason is his songs are nice, but also often a little dull

Between the two, Carole King is of course a lot more interesting. A true giant in music.
Well, I don't exactly love him, but all albums are really nice to hear, and not many artists are capable of doing that. And I think that obviously Carole King is a legend in popular music.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Yeah, Drake for me is like Sufjan Stevens and Elliot wotsit; everyone goes mad about them here and I listen and think shrug: okay but meh, I've heard far far better. Bon Iver goes into this category for me too. Not saying they're bad artists, but I just don't get the hero worship they seem to attract. Maybe it's just me.

No. No it isn't. It's you, definitely.
I had no idea people nowadays worship Nick Drake. But as I answered to the previous post, I think the guy was really able to do some nice stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Incidentally, Eleanor, I'm sure you have a list of albums to get through, but since you expressed an interest in prog rock you might consider Genesis's second "proper" album

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nursery_Cryme
Yeah, that's on my list. Acquiring the taste and Meddle are other prog rock albums I had planned to review. The thing is I thought you had already reviewed all prog rock albums ever released, so I wasn't sure whether to review them or not.
Eleanor Rigby 14 is offline   Reply With Quote