Music Banter - View Single Post - What Concerts Are You Going To In The Next Few Months
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2021, 11:17 PM   #4993 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Got tickets to see Armand Hammer and Alchemist with Open Mike Eagle in September. I feel like they might bring Earl out in their set since Alc is tight with him and they both live in LA.
Missed OME but Armand Hammer really killed it after spending a couple songs getting the soundguy to turn them up. They did tracks from all over their discography, Barbarians being one of the standouts. They brought out a horn player and guitarist for some Small Bills tracks that got pretty ****in funky. As predicted they brought out Earl for Falling Out of the Sky before Earl and Alchemist took over to do Mtomb (one of my fave tracks from him, was kinda surprised) and some new material. The crowd got really excited for Earl and I was too but felt like they should've been that excited for woods. They also did a bunch of woods' solo material, mostly from Hiding Places. His performance of Houthi was really astounding.

I always viewed Elucid as the better emcee of the duo while woods was more humble in that lane with better poetry, but Elucid kind of disappointed me on that end. It was too close to the studio album in a way that was almost jukeboxy. Great performance still but I was expecting some god tier on that end. Was very impressed with woods' performance honestly, it was more like hearing an impassioned rant in a smoke sesh than someone doing a song and dance. He kept his mystique up, squatting whenever Elucid was rapping so that he looked like he was in the audience and telling the venue to turn down the stage lights. Was rad, hopefully I can catch them again.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote