Music Banter - View Single Post - What Sucks about This Artist?: Pink Floyd
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2021, 09:11 AM   #180 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Eh, thinking of a lot of the icons from those times tells me that identity has always been pretty important in public opinion. I think Floyd gets called boring because their music is generally pretty slow and mellow more than anything.
Nah, it's not just that. Take a band like Bad Brains or Kamelot or Eagles of Death Metal. They fit into genres that are much more defined so that even before hearing or seeing them, you could have a pretty good idea of what they're gonna sound like or look like.

The psychedelic rock and especially early prog wasn't really defined like that. You couldn't look at Pink Floyd and know what they were gonna sound like. They could've sounded like the kinks or maybe mothers of Invention. And I'm pretty sure any contrived attempt at promoting some image is something they would find vulgar if they thought it would distract from the music.

Even today if Gilmour plays to thousands and have the backing of choirs or symphony orchestras, he still goes on stage with whatever black t-shirt he could find on the floor.

The only way to know PF is to listen and when their music often is kinda slow and ponderous, people don't have time for that and perhaps dismiss it as pretentious (which is fine if that's how they feel).