Music Banter - View Single Post - What Didn’t President Biden Do Now?
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2021, 04:13 PM   #345 (permalink)
SGR
No Ice In My Bourbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Ja it's safe to the point of not having to worry as much about a chernobyl level incident but the uranium mining process is still incredibly damaging to local environments and there's quite a bit of incentive to sell the waste for weapons.
You're not wrong - I suppose the gambit is that by prioritizing nuclear power, we'll gain a focus on the processes that will result in (hopefully) an optimization of the process to mitigate, as much as possible, environmental damage (and hopefully more funded R&D on it) and that the net effect will be less emissions and less death and pollution.

As for the incentive to sell the waste for weapons, I'm not sure how to solve for that. One would hope that the government could tighten the screws and restrict that sort of thing, but that idealism is, of course, somewhat removed from reality and the incentives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber soul View Post
You also have to worry about natural disasters like the tsunami in Japan some years ago as well as the possible terrorist threats. I'm not against nuclear power either but we do have to be cognizant that we still have risks.
Completely agreed. I think we can solve for most of the risks though.

Last edited by SGR; 09-26-2021 at 04:55 PM.
SGR is offline   Reply With Quote