Music Banter - View Single Post - Vinyl Memories
Thread: Vinyl Memories
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2021, 01:58 PM   #59 (permalink)
DianneW
Music Addict

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Second hand shops used to be a great way to fill in gaps in your collection, or buy new music. There was one called Freebird (originally accessed via a winding staircase up, where local lads would slouch against the wall and ask for money, then later they relocated, ironically, to a basement, so you still had to use stairs, but this time down. No seekers after loose change though, as it was in a better part of town). Basement X was another one, a real basement, so dark you felt like you were going into like Santa's Grotto or something (hey I was young and didn't have that many references for dark places) - quite intimidating but also friendly. Best part about those shops was you could browse literally for hours and nobody would bother you with "can I help you", translation: "buy something or get the **** out, this isn't a library."

Also cool that they would, if you asked and they were in a good mood, preview a record for you, play it on their system, and even if you didn't like it and decided not to buy it, you got no hassle. I miss those shops. You could go in with about twenty quid and come back out with zero cash but a bag of maybe forty to fifty records. Sweet. And of course later if you needed money you could sell yours to them. They were a lot more picky about that though, and you got next to nothing for them, so it wasn't a road I went down much at all.
love memories like that..lucky that we have the Animal Charity called the Hope Association, they display some goods for sale even on facebook .. more like a warehouse than a store...great stuff if you can spare the time to rake about in there..husband will not enter it..being from a poorish background, always cast off's with everything, he just wants all new gear...I get that, but am not with that mindset. Not too fussed about some dirt and wear and tear, all can be cleaned and cared for again... Lets face it..the bargains are the bait,,,
DianneW is offline   Reply With Quote