Music Banter - View Single Post - The Temple of Doom
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2021, 06:47 PM   #24 (permalink)
LEGALISE DRUGS AND MURDER
Music Addict

CANDLEMASS - EPICUS DOOMICUS METALLICUS (1986)

Ok so, I get it. This is cheesy. You should have expected that on an album called Epicus Doomicus Metallicus (the name of which coined both "epic doom metal" and "doom metal" in general in 1986). You're in for some operatic, soaring vocals, high fantasy, and lots of melodrama. Epic doom metal, of course, is sort of doom's take on power metal.

If you're not into that, I understand, but I think it's kind of a shame, because underneath everything this is a really well put together, all killer no filler, doom album showcasing basically flawless execution of the genres fundamentals. The material is so compelling that I really encourage people to give it a chance. Every track is a banger, with catchy but heavy riffs and well put together songs. Sing along, embarrass yourself.

It helps, too, that Candlemass is actually, along with Saint Vitus, one of the heaviest and slowest bands operating during this era. They actually spend most of this LP dishing out heavy riffs and thundering drums, and the follow-up is even more guitaristic and straightforward. So understand that this album is not some kind of watered down metal for fantasy geeks.

This was the moment that people began to put a name to the kind of music that all these post-sabbath bands were playing. I think, for that reason, I constitutes a big part of what we think of when we think of doom metal today. It's the archetype for a lot of later albums, and not just the "epic" ones.

There are just so many goddamn anthems on this thing that I hope people will sit with its cheese factor. This is a masterpiece. Straight doomalicious.

Sitting here alone in darkness waiting to be free
Lonely and forlorn I am crying

Last edited by LEGALISE DRUGS AND MURDER; 10-09-2021 at 06:54 PM.
LEGALISE DRUGS AND MURDER is offline   Reply With Quote