Music Banter - View Single Post - The Temple of Doom
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2021, 09:54 PM   #27 (permalink)
LEGALISE DRUGS AND MURDER
Music Addict

SKEPTICISM - STORMCROWFLEET (1995)

Ok so, first of all, you want to avoid the 2000s remaster of this album, which is dog**** and find either the original version or the "new mix" done in 2018, which is what's on Spotify. Not sure why the first remaster is so terrible, but it sounds tinny and distant, and ambient moments are basically unintelligible.

The direction Thergothon&co. had pointed in was pretty clear. Bands began to explore ways to take low and slow doom metal to the point of the funeral dirge, and pushing past their predecessors. A great example of a band basically going "Thergothon but more" is skepticism. Although, not exactly. This release does actually have a lot of more melodic, hopeful moments that pop through, which nonetheless have a bittersweet character. At other times, the synths take on the role of a church organ, or romantic, gothic affectations. Generally this is accomplished with minimal instrumentation, and I doubt this album cost much to make. Occasionally very pretty or epic, but not very happy.

But this material is considerably darker, slower and heavier when it wants to be. This is still atmospheric music, and during much its runtime synths moreso take the lead, but heavier sections have much more of a bludgeoning quality relative to Thergothon. There are some pretty nightmarish sections on this thing, but loads of dynamics. Excepting some of the midi-sounding horns, which are thin and unflattering, I prefer the synth tambres they use here as well, to Thergothon, who I can't recall doing anything like that. Still, the synths here have a pleasant analog buzz and sound theatrical.

This music is mournful and cerebral, and you can't headbang to it. You can maybe kind of like, sway to it? An example of an band not being a revolution, but just pushing things a little bit forward. Still, if you want a bit more beef than Thergothon this is a good place to go next, and this is well done.

Last edited by LEGALISE DRUGS AND MURDER; 10-10-2021 at 10:34 AM.
LEGALISE DRUGS AND MURDER is offline   Reply With Quote