Music Banter - View Single Post - The Temple of Doom
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2021, 11:22 PM   #28 (permalink)
LEGALISE DRUGS AND MURDER
Music Addict

CROWBAR - ODD FELLOWS REST (1998)

GRAAAAAAAAAAAH

One hour of grooving, thrashing, bad ****ing ass rif***e. The guitars on this album weigh a ton and they hit you with gnarly, sedated, detuned riffs one after another. No need for solos. Get ****ing burried under an avalanche of fuzz. F U C K

These songs mostly hang out at a propulsive, but chunky mid pace and the band is pretty rocking. There's a lot of groove ladden riffs, as well as some jagged chugging and smashing. Now and then, there's riffs with more of a punk energy or stoner drive.

With the exception of the title track's low-key psychedelia, the sound and feel here is very consistent, but effective. Get smashed in the head over and over. It's all great, every second of it. Great to put on and be ****ING pissed.

Kind of a 90s alt rock vibe especially in the gravelly, grunge vocals but out-heavies many many albums with much more metallic aesthetics. It's easy to see how a band like Pantera would be influenced by this type of music, but to me this is a lot nastier and thicker.

I think how tightly the band is able to groove contributes a lot to the sheer physical inertia and power on display. The fat, suffocating tone helps. I feel like people would maybe work out to this? Anyway, it kicks major ass. Walk away from an explosion in slow-mo to it. Dig a grave to it. Swim through molasses to it. PUMP IRON CHUG BEER.

This record is what it's like trying to stand up on Saturn. Heavy and suffocating. New Man Born has a cowbell on it though, weird.

Last edited by LEGALISE DRUGS AND MURDER; 10-10-2021 at 08:24 PM.
LEGALISE DRUGS AND MURDER is offline   Reply With Quote