Music Banter - View Single Post - Bloody Marie: Portrait of the riot grrrl as a young battleaxe
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2021, 12:24 PM   #50 (permalink)
Marie Monday
the bantering battleaxe

Hamlet is an incel boi

I've been reading Hamlet and (while of course there's much more to the play) this struck me. Hear me out:

1. He idolises Fortinbras, the poster child of fascist masculinity. Take your honour and pathetic piece of Polish lebensraum and shove it up your ass, Mr. Strong-arm.

2. He acts hostile towards women (and slutshames them), through a sense of feeling entitled and/or threatened. The case of his mother is fairly obvious. His behaviour towards Ophelia can be interpreted in different ways, but I consider the hostility genuine. I read it as a deliberate distancing from her; he feels obliged to commit gruesomeness, and Ophelia stands between him and those deeds by connecting him to his humane side. It's analogous to the 'un-man me' of either Macbeth or Richard III (I don't remember which). I think it's no coincidence that the 'to be or not to be' question can be read as either pertaining to his revenge, or suicide. He recognises the similar destructiveness, both are a road to damnation. No room for love and humane feelings there. Actually, in all of the classic four great tragedies the main character feels threatened by a woman in the patriarchal role he feels he should perform, which leads to:

3. He struggles to take up the patriarchal mantle handed over by his father and feels unequal to the challenge.

4. He laments his own passivity and weakness in not taking charge of his life, but:

5. He refuses to take responsibility for any of his actions. Surely he's just a Nice Guy who was forced into this horrible situation and went mad, and if only people would understand

6. He expresses his alienation from the time and place in which he is born, dismissing it as superficial. If only he would have been born into one of those glorious times when men were Great and Strong and women weren't such disgusting thots

7. He takes refuge from reality by acting childishly and making toxic and inappropriate jokes at the people around him. Hamlet, the original lewd troll.

Anyway, great play, highly recommend

---
Edit: that one quote is actually Lady Macbeth saying 'unsex me' which is something quite different from what I remembered. I think either Richard III or Macbeth (or both?) says something about ignoring their humanity, though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
You sound like Buffy after they dragged her back from Heaven.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WWWP View Post
I want to open a school for MB's lost boys and teach them basic coping skills and build up their self esteem and strengthen their emotional intelligence and teach them about vegetables and institutionalized racism and sexism and then they'll all build a bronze statue of me in my honor and my bronzed titties will forever be groped by the grubby paws of you ****ing whiny pathetic white boys.

Last edited by Marie Monday; 10-10-2021 at 01:19 PM.
Marie Monday is offline   Reply With Quote