Music Banter - View Single Post - Rubber Soul's Bag of Garage Goodies
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2021, 04:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
rubber soul
Call me Mustard

Speaking of resurrecting threads, how about I bring this one back?

I think I was trying to do a quickie history of garage rock originally and I was going to do the Thirteenth Floor Elevators, but I'll hold off on that for a bit.

Because, maybe I'm better off just exploring the bands and one shot wonders that really do it for me (and yes, that certainly includes the Elevators)

But it also includes these wackos out of Los Angeles. They scored a medium sized hit with Pushin Too hard in the fall of 1966 and, in some ways, predated the Doors as they too, didn't feature a bass player, Daryl Hooper playing the bass parts on his electric piano.

Of course their frontman was one who went by the name of Sky Saxon (real name, Richie Marsh). He started out singing doo wop in the early sixties.

He did this with the Electra-Fires in 1962

Spoiler for Go Ahead and Cry- The Electra-Fires:

In 1965 he formed the Seeds with Hooper, Jan Savage, and Rick Andridge and signed on with GNP Crescendo Records. They developed a psychedelic sound long before anyone even knew what psychedelic music even was.

Garage rock aficionados will remember this classic, released in 1965 but wouldn't chart until 1967

Spoiler for can't seem to make you mine:

Of course they really hit it big with their debut album in 1966. Their follow-up album, A Web of Sound, may even been punkier than the debut

Spoiler for mr.farmer:

Later in 1967, the Seeds would delve into the world of flower power with their album, Future. To me, this was a watered down version of the Seeds but some people seem to like this album. This is probably the best track from that album

Spoiler for two fingers pointing at you:

In 1968, they would release A Full Spoon of Seedy Blues, a live album would follow, and then the Seeds we're never heard from again.

Though I did find this gem from 1969 on a garage compilation

Spoiler for bad part of town:

Rumor has it that Saxon would wander around Los Angeles not doing much of anything in the seventies and beyond. The truth is, he would continue to make music until he passed away in 2009. As for the others, well, I guess I have to do some research

I finish this set off with a track from one of their compilations, probably from about 1967. Anyway, it's a classic

Spoiler for the wind blows your hair:

Last edited by rubber soul; 10-10-2021 at 05:24 PM.
rubber soul is offline   Reply With Quote