Music Banter - View Single Post - The Temple of Doom
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2021, 11:04 PM   #32 (permalink)
LEGALISE DRUGS AND MURDER
Music Addict

Black Sabbath - Paranoid (1970)

Paranoid is one of the most consistent, tightest track lists in rock history. From the first, crushing drone on War Pigs to the climactic end it's perfect, dark purple bliss. Black Sabbath's self titled album nailed its jammier sections, and it nailed building an evil, satanic atmosphere. Comparatively, Paranoid has little in the way of improvising and, in very relative terms, a brighter mood (though in some ways, a heavier sound). Instead, it has one iconic, brilliant, groundbreaking song after another.

Paranoid speaks for itself. It's one of those few albums where nothing feels out of place, and every second is pure compositional genius played by people who invented and, perhaps, perfected playing that way. It's a perfect rock album, and as much as I think there's oceans of good music inspired by it there's nothing that's quite like going to the source.

It's also one of the best recorded albums ever. For 1970, Sabbath sounds massive and forceful. Iomi's atomic fuzz on Paranoid is utterly face melting and beautiful. C'mon, what's ever been truly heavier than the oozing riff that kicks off Electric Funeral? In addition to the guitars, I think the way the bass is recorded is especially lush and succulent.

Yea. You're probably already heard it, and if you haven't, don't tell me because I'll respect you less. SABBATH IS HEAVY 2 THE SOUL. Paranoid is an artefact of a band at the peak of creativity, skill and taste. Everything about paranoid is so punchy and captivating and unassailable.

But you knew that already.
LEGALISE DRUGS AND MURDER is offline   Reply With Quote