Music Banter - View Single Post - comedians
Thread: comedians
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2021, 02:14 PM   #780 (permalink)
SGR
No Ice In My Bourbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3 View Post
Yeah? IMO this was the worst of his specials since the comeback. Felt like story time with some humorous observations along the way. I was bored throughout.
I think Chappelle has definitely expanded and built upon his comedic techniques. He seems like much more of a story teller lately - of course, if you don't find it funny, then his abilities as a story teller are kind of a moot point. But I find his ability to weave a long series of vignettes that all feel like they flow naturally from one to the other to be rather impressive.

I have thought his latest Netflix specials were okay. I don't remember if I liked this one more than the previous ones. There's some parts that really crack me up and there are other parts that somewhat drag.

Chappelle is supremely talented though, no doubt. I will admit, I tire of the LGBTQ+ subject matter though. It's not that he doesn't make the jokes work, because most of the time he does - I just think that as a basis for jokes and comedy, it does get somewhat played out. There's so much material in contemporary politics, culture and news these days that Chappelle could utilize to great effect but he chooses to narrow his focus instead and for that, I think the specials are somewhat lesser as a result.

That being said, the media attention he manages to generate with them, and the Twitter outrage obviously garners a lot of press. I'm sure it's not unintentional.
SGR is offline   Reply With Quote