Music Banter - View Single Post - Ad Astra: Trollheart's Guide to the Galaxy (And Beyond)
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2021, 02:58 PM   #26 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Apollo 8
Launched: December 21 1968
Reached Destination: December 24 1968 (Merry Christmas, y’all!)
Type: Orbiter
Crew: Frank F. Borman II, James A. Lovell Jr., William A. Anders
Nationality: American
Results: Successfully orbited the Moon, becoming the first humans ever to do so. Transmitted live television broadcast to Earth.
Photographs Taken: 800 (Also 16mm movie film and video broadcast)
Returned: December 28 1968
Issues (if any): Initial problems with the Lunar Module (LM); a bout of sickness for Borman left puke and shit floating everywhere. Nice. I think on the whole I’d prefer ants.

I’m pretty amazed to find that a) the original second-in-command was to have been Michael Collins, who would make history himself later by being on the crew of Apollo 11, but that he had to have an operation and so was replaced by Lovell. Backup crew included Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin! When the LM was delivered there were so many defects in it that it looked as if the mission would have to be delayed, but a workaround ensured Apollo 8 took off on schedule.

So many firsts: first humans to travel beyond Earth, first to travel through the Van Allen belt, first (of course) to approach another celestial body and then orbit it, the first ever sight of Earthrise, as the Earth rose behind the Moon, first humans to see Earth from space, and of course first humans to return to Earth having been in space. Lovell described their first sight of the moon in a historic broadcast:

“The Moon is essentially grey, no color; looks like plaster of Paris or sort of a grayish beach sand. We can see quite a bit of detail. The Sea of Fertility doesn't stand out as well here as it does back on Earth. There's not as much contrast between that and the surrounding craters. The craters are all rounded off. There's quite a few of them, some of them are newer. Many of them look like—especially the round ones—look like hit by meteorites or projectiles of some sort. Langrenus is quite a huge crater; it's got a central cone to it. The walls of the crater are terraced, about six or seven different terraces on the way down.”

Controversy erupted though over the reading of Bible verses during the video transmission to Earth, with an atheist activist claiming the US Government were illegally forcing those of other, or no, faith, to take part in, or at least listen to, Christian prayer, which they might not have been interested in. It was, she said, a form of subtle religious coercion. And while there was no law extant covering the Moon, NASA agreed to quickly re-close that particular can of worms before it spilled all over the place.

Apollo 10
(Note: I have not included Apollo 9 as it was a test flight which took place in low Earth orbit, and never reached, nor was intended to go to the Moon.)

Launched: May 18 1969
Reached Destination: May 2 1969
Type: Orbiter/Dress Rehearsal for landing
Crew: Thomas P. Stafford, John W. Young, Eugene A. Cernan
Results: Tested out and confirmed all stages of the planned lunar landing successfully
Photographs Taken: Unknown, but also included colour television live broadcast for the first time in history (from space, that is).
Returned: May 26 1969
Issues (if any): Errors in data input during the simulated landing caused the LM to roll, coming very close to crashing into the Moon.

As this was in all but the actual landing identical to what Apollo 11 would achieve, there was some real fear that the crew would not be able to resist the temptation to become the first humans to land on the Moon, and so to forestall this NASA ensured that the return capsule did not have enough fuel to achieve lift-off from the Moon. So, they could have tried it - and possibly, probably even succeeded, making history ahead of time and stealing Armstrong and Aldrin’s thunder - but they would have paid a high price, stranded on the Moon with no way to get home. Of course they didn’t do it, nor might it have been their intention, but still, it’s sobering to hear that NASA were so worried they would, that they had to take these, on the face of it, pretty draconian precautions.

What would have happened had they done it? I mean, it’s exceptionally doubtful that NASA would have left them there to die, but the cost of sending another mission up to rescue them, or even carry the fuel to them to allow them leave, would have been prohibitive even if possible, and surely they would have faced major disciplinary action, even criminal charges (misuse of government property? Unauthorised landing?) and been liable for huge fines, considering how much a rescue mission would have cost. And - assuming they didn’t die up there - they would have gone down in history as both perhaps the most selfish and most stupid men ever to live. No, on balance, I don’t see it.

The mission could have been a disaster though, even without the guys yielding to temptation. After inputting duplicate commands into the LM, it began to roll and they came very close to crashing onto the surface of the Moon, and making tragic history as the first astronauts to die - probably, almost certainly, but at any rate crash - on a foreign planetary body. Not the way you want to make your mark!

Apollo 11
Launched: July 16 1969
Reached Destination: July 19 1969 - Landing on the Moon achieved at 20:17:40 UTC July 20 1969; Neil Armstrong set foot on the Moon 02:56 July 21 1969
Type: Lander
Crew: Neil A. Armstrong, Michael Collins, Edwin E. “Buzz” Aldrin Jr.
Results: Landed humans on another planetary body for the first time in history
Photographs Taken:
Returned: July 21 1969
Issues (if any):

This was, of course, the big one, the day when the space race, or at least the race to the Moon, was finally and unequivocally decided, with America the winner. Commander Neil Armstrong and Edwin “Buzz” Aldrin landed successfully and walked on the surface of the Moon, becoming the first ever humans to set foot on extraterrestrial soil and broadcast from there. The American flag was planted on the lunar surface (“The Moon belongs to America!”) and they walked on the barren wasteland, experiencing the unusual effect of much lower gravity and walking under a sky that was not there, the Moon having no atmosphere. The Russians could only glower and grumble in defeat as they watched the American astronauts leave the LM codenamed “Eagle” and set NASA boots on the soil of the Moon, while the world watched. Hell, I even remember watching it myself, though I was only six years old and had no idea really what I was witnessing.

Oh now that’s interesting. I did not know that. Kennedy twice tried to convince the Soviet Union to partner with the US on the Apollo mission, but Krushchev wasn’t interested (probably unwilling to have it seen or perceived as the mighty Soviet Union riding on the technological coat-tails of the United States) and when Johnson took over after JFK’s death, they dropped the idea. Could have been interesting, and could even have helped thaw out both the Cold War and the Space Race. What-if, huh?

The Lunar Module Eagle landed at 20:17 UTC on July 20 1969, with the now-immortal words of Neil Armstrong “The Eagle has landed” ringing out across the world. A few hours later Aldrin made a short broadcast himself: "This is the LM pilot. I'd like to take this opportunity to ask every person listening in, whoever and wherever they may be, to pause for a moment and contemplate the events of the past few hours and to give thanks in his or her own way”

It’s probably due to something of a backlash against the astronauts quoting scripture that Aldrin most likely resisted saying “give thanks to God” or either he or Armstrong falling, Columbus-like, on their knees on the lunar surface after exiting the module. While this might have been an early version of PC gone mad, I do sort of agree: the US government, through NASA, could have been seen to have been attempting to establish the Apollo missions as Christian ones (ironic, as they had named it after a Greek god) and inadvertently or even knowingly forcing the acceptance of Christianity on the Earth, and in effect claiming the moon for the Christian God. So I think while it was probably a real overreaction on the part of those who protested, I can see their point and it probably needed to be made before this became standard on Apollo missions, which might, and possibly did (I’ll find out later) include astronauts who were of other religious faiths.

A few hours later again, the Eagle hatch opened and a human first breathed (as it were) the atmosphere of a new world and looked out upon its surface, again as it were, live. A few slow steps down a ladder and humanity set its boot on the lunar surface, as Armstong declared “That’s one small step for (a) man, one giant leap for mankind.” Due to a communication glitch, the indefinite article was missed, so that the world heard him say “one small step for man”, but he actually said “for a man”. Hey, the guy was making history. Cut him a break, eh? After Aldrin joined him on the surface they tested the walking and movement conditions, which, given the much lower gravity, proved both easy and difficult, as in, they had to plan their steps ahead, because it wasn’t like normal walking.

A short while later, and in a show of total nationalistic jingoism (though to be fair any country would have done the same) the American flag was planted on the Moon, the first since the Soviets had dropped a pennant globe onto it via lunar impactor, and the first ever raised by human hand on another planetary body. Next, newly-inaugurated President Richard Nixon refused to resist making bank of one of history’s greatest moments as he called the astronauts.

Nixon: "Hello, Neil and Buzz. I'm talking to you by telephone from the Oval Room at the White House. And this certainly has to be the most historic telephone call ever made from the White House. I just can't tell you how proud we all are of what you have done. For every American, this has to be the proudest day of our lives. And for people all over the world, I am sure that they too join with Americans in recognizing what an immense feat this is. Because of what you have done, the heavens have become a part of man's world. And as you talk to us from the Sea of Tranquility, it inspires us to redouble our efforts to bring peace and tranquility to Earth. For one priceless moment in the whole history of man, all the people on this Earth are truly one: one in their pride in what you have done, and one in our prayers that you will return safely to Earth."

Armstrong: "Thank you, Mr. President. It's a great honor and privilege for us to be here, representing not only the United States, but men of peace of all nations, and with interest and a curiosity, and men with a vision for the future. It's an honor for us to be able to participate here today."

Of course, had that been today, or a decade later, Armstrong would no doubt have said “men and women of peace”, but you can’t have everything.

Armstrong and Aldrin collected soil and rock samples from the Moon, and lifted off, after a scare in which the circuit breaker that activated the engine had to be jury-rigged by use of a felt-tip pen (anyone remember “It’s an inanimate carbon rod!”?) just before tea, at 17:54. The night before they returned to Earth, the three astronauts made a final broadcast from space to humanity, in which each had his own part.

Collins commented:

" ... The Saturn V rocket which put us in orbit is an incredibly complicated piece of machinery, every piece of which worked flawlessly ... We have always had confidence that this equipment will work properly. All this is possible only through the blood, sweat, and tears of a number of people ... All you see is the three of us, but beneath the surface are thousands and thousands of others, and to all of those, I would like to say, "Thank you very much."

Aldrin, unable to observe NASA protocols and keep his big yap shut about God (fucking Presbyterians!), added:

"This has been far more than three men on a mission to the Moon; more, still, than the efforts of a government and industry team; more, even, than the efforts of one nation. We feel that this stands as a symbol of the insatiable curiosity of all mankind to explore the unknown ... Personally, in reflecting on the events of the past several days, a verse from Psalms comes to mind. "When I consider the heavens, the work of Thy fingers, the Moon and the stars, which Thou hast ordained; What is man that Thou art mindful of him?"

Armstrong (possibly glaring at Aldrin, possibly not) concluded:

"The responsibility for this flight lies first with history and with the giants of science who have preceded this effort; next with the American people, who have, through their will, indicated their desire; next with four administrations and their Congresses, for implementing that will; and then, with the agency and industry teams that built our spacecraft, the Saturn, the Columbia, the Eagle, and the little EMU, the spacesuit and backpack that was our small spacecraft out on the lunar surface. We would like to give special thanks to all those Americans who built the spacecraft; who did the construction, design, the tests, and put their hearts and all their abilities into those craft. To those people tonight, we give a special thank you, and to all the other people that are listening and watching tonight, God bless you. Good night from Apollo 11.”

With the splashdown of the module and its recovery at 16:51 on July 24 1969, Kennedy’s - and America’s dream (and the Soviet Union’s nightmare) had come true: America had succeeded in sending a man (three men actually) to the Moon and returning them safely to the Earth. The race to the Moon had been won, the Space Race was over, and America had broken the tape first.

If the run-up to Apollo 8 and 10 was the foreplay and Apollo 11 the climax, then to continue the sexual metaphor, all missions after this were where America rolled over and went to sleep, occasionally farting. Tp put it in a nutshell, once the objective had been achieved and everyone had looked at the shiny object they got bored with it, and further missions were greeted with collective yawns. Other than Apollo 13, as we will see and as you surely already know. Apart from that though, there was no excitement, no anticipation, no sense of history, just a “been there, done that” sort of mentality that meant the American public turned away from future space missions.

In fact, now that (to return to the sexual thing again for a moment) the honeymoon was over and the first blush of love had worn off, people now began questioning the morality of America spending massive amounts of money - billions surely - on getting a few men to walk on a floating rock that really, nobody cared about. Considering how little was done after the historic landing, that’s hard to argue with. As ever, in America as well as all over the world poverty and homelessness continued to be major curses, as did the enormous gap between the super-rich and the super-poor, to say nothing of race. Actually, let’s say something about race.

If there was a dark side of the Moon (there isn’t) it wasn’t due to anyone with dark skin being on an Apollo mission. As Gil Scott-Heron caustically remarked in 1970, Whitey was on the Moon, and that almost disconnect from reality - considering also the US Government’s involvement in Vietnam - served to make Richard Nixon’s administration look elitist and pandering to big business, which of course it was. In the fanfare, the poor, the disenfranchised, those of a colour other than white, women and a hundred other minorities got forgotten about, pushed aside, swept away, like beggars at a banquet.

But a story for another journal, probably my History of America one, so we’ll keep it till then. Whether the American people were interested or not in the subsequent Apollo missions, we are, and so on we go.

Last edited by Trollheart; 10-11-2021 at 03:04 PM.
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote