Music Banter - View Single Post - What Sucks About This Artist: Eric Clapton Edition
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2021, 05:38 AM   #61 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Monday View Post
Your appeal is officially denied
If you're looking for male gratification you've come to the wrong girl
Anyone else notice that Marie Monday is one of the best mods we've ever had?

On the strength of the Clapton autobiog I once read, I can say the EC never had any illusions about being god, Trollheart - but he was a real self-absorbed drama queen in my opinion. His love affair with Pattie Boyd, we are led to believe, is Romeo&Juliette, John&Yoko, etc. all rolled into one.
How many times can a person hit rock bottom? I always assumed it was like one or maybe two in a lifetime, whereas EC, victim of various addictions, was hitting what he called "a rock bottom" every other chapter of his book.(That little word "a" is significant, because it tells us "one of various") Bits of his autobiog read like a teenager's endless weekend in Hell: "Pattie didn't call. I'm going to kill myself - or perhaps I'll do a ton of drugs instead."

But as Dianne says, he has impressive musical pedigree; great skills, of course, and a personal manner that made him a popular collaborator with other musicians. Very commendable too is his Crossroads Festival and charity work with (I think) addicted musicians.

Up in the Pantheon of high-achieving rock stars, perhaps it's too much to expect him to make good choices elsewhere. His "keep britain white" rant was way out of line imo, and on medical science it seems like he can't distinguish between anecdotal and statistical evidence. In that, sadly, he is far from alone