Music Banter - View Single Post - The Buffy Thread
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2021, 09:18 AM   #27 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Alright so the morality of Xander is bothering me. Clearly in the seasons with Angel Xander's hatred of him isn't because he's a vampire but because Xander is jealous of him. And yet I don't remember this being an issue that is ever truly addressed and Xander's black/white morality persists the entire show regarding male vampires courting Buffy, even while he himself dates demons without confronting this issue in any way whatsoever.

This is extra weird since he seems to be a self-insert character for Joss Whedon and when you learn about behind the scenes stuff you hear that Joss didn't want morally grey vampire characters. Angel as a romantic interest was a studio decision and he actually was openly hostile to Spike's actor because he wanted Spike dead within a few episodes but fan reaction dictated his entire arc of surviving, becoming a main character, and eventually a love interest for Buffy.

And yet Xander, Joss' self insert, never morally dealt with the idea of vampires as moral beings, seemingly as Joss never dealt with the issue seemingly out of protest. So is Xander a ****tier character than he could have been simply due to Joss having a boring sense of morality and also just kind of being an unrepentant incel?
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote