Music Banter - View Single Post - Thoughts on Electric Light Orchestra
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2021, 09:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
bob_32_116
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber soul View Post
I don't know. ELO had a much harder edge than the Moodies. The best comparison would be with the Beatles via Eleanor Rigby/I Am the Walrus/Glass Onion but, as other have noted, ELO had a sound all its own.

What albums would I recommend? I'm partial to the earlier albums (Self Titled, On the Third Day, Eldorado), but there is a lot to be said on the more commercial records of the late seventies and even into the eighties. I think they were underrated at the time and I think that had a lot to do with their long wait to get in the R&R HOF.

Anyway, great band with their own distinctive sound. Beatles influenced to be sure but still unique in their way.
I did a bit more investigation. It seems the Beatles comparison originated with a comment by Roy Wood that he wanted the band to "pick up where the Beatles left off".

I'm not sure what you mean by "underrated"; they seemed to be everywhere from about 1976 to 1982 or so.

Trivium: ELO hold the record for the band with the most singles (20) in the Billboard Top 40 without ever reaching number one.

Last edited by bob_32_116; 10-16-2021 at 10:01 AM.
bob_32_116 is offline   Reply With Quote