Music Banter - View Single Post - The queer corner
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2021, 10:16 PM   #1216 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
I can't say for sure that cancel culture isn't good, because I'm not 100% sure. It could be that cancelling Dave Chapelle is the best thing for the world. But Dave is a guy who has brought a lot of joy to so many people and who also has spoken on some issues in a positive way. I still don't know what he's said this time around, but it seems sad to define the man entirely by a bad take during a stand up routine. I also don't think people like John Cleese and Richard Dawkins should be barred from speaking at unis and I wanna watch Harry Potter with my kid, even if Rowling has some bad ideas.

I'd rather help change the environment than cancel artists. We tend to focus a lot of attention on combating negatives, but it may actually be better to spend that time promoting the positives. It's a better way of influencing the "free market of ideas". You stand a better chance of getting your ideas under the radar and past the defenses of your would-be opponents. Before I get accused/strawmanned for it, I am not saying we can't still disagree. Do so, loudly if you want
Who's cancelling any of those people? The idea that a Twitter mob can cancel JK Rowling is a fiction probably penned by JK Rowling, along with all the reactionaries who want to elevate her. She's still rich. She's still on Twitter. She's still spreading TERF ****. And now you're here giving credence to her. Guess you got some reactionary genes in you.

And if you prefer to support a positive rather than combat a negative does that mean that when CNN invites Richard Spencer on to talk about something, we shouldn't discourage the platforming of a white nationalist, we should encourage them to speak to people who aren't white nationalists as well? Don't boot Alex Jones off Youtube, cause you don't want good Youtubers booted off along with him?

You still sound like a marketplace of ideas liberal. All the science **** is just dressing your ideas up in a lab coat.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote