Music Banter - View Single Post - The queer corner
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2021, 04:20 AM   #1226 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You're not engaging with my point. Should we or should we not allow white nationalists and far right wing demagogues on public platforms? Cause if not then your whole point becomes "We should carefully choose who we cancel" which runs counter to what you've been saying this whole time.
We obviously have laws against hate speech and various forms of harmful expression. On private platforms, it is roughly up to the owners to make policies. Besides that, I think lawmakers should decide what goes and what doesn't.

As a general rule, I do think that right wing demagogues should be allowed on public platforms along with other scum as long as they stay within the limits of legal expression. On public platforms, they can be seen so we know who they are. Their opinions can be discussed by the public. They can be challenged. Keep them in the light so everyone knows what they're up to. Tying it in with what I wrote earlier, keep those ideas in an environment that is hostile towards them. They're less likely to blossom.

If you de-platform them, they may just find new platforms (like parler) where their messages go unchallenged. They might actually increase their influence that way and their messages might reach more receptive minds. I think this process is ongoing in various places, adding strength to various right wing movements.

Last edited by Guybrush; 10-17-2021 at 04:35 AM.
Guybrush is offline   Reply With Quote