Music Banter - View Single Post - The Rest in Peace Thread (RIP)
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2021, 09:34 AM   #6249 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber soul View Post
While you kneejerk liberals go around wishing him an eternity in Hell, please note that he A) shouted down his own handlers when they tried to prevent him from answering a tough question concerning the Iraq War (the Tim Russert incident if you're curious), B) He endorsed Obama in the 2008 election and C) Endorsed Hilary Clinton, who he no doubt couldn't stand, because he knew the alternative was so much worse.

So, yes, Trollheart, people do care. Despite his foibles, Powell cared about the US above anything else; a knee jerk Republican he wasn't.
Yes, I haven't followed his career in detail, but I think he deserves at least some credit for actively encouraging people to turn away from the modern GOP. As for being taken in by mis-information about weapons of mass destruction - many people on both sides of the Atlantic were deceived by that lie, and I think he expressed regret about it.
He did well to be the first black guy to rise to such a high office, but of course not so good that he chose killing people as his profession. So I'd opt for a more balanced response: not pedestalizing, but not dancing on the grave either. Perhaps closest is what I take to be TH's reaction: not caring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Murdering civilians is a lot less peaceful than being a bit of a dick imo
I'm happy to agree with this and leave it there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Quick! Hie thee to ye olde office of copyright and layeth thou thy claim, before some varlet doth you know what this is bugging me... claim copyright on it, Lisna (I have no idea why I decided to say that in Olde English...)
Thanks TH! Unfortunately the word copyright department is still working their way through a backlog of invented words from the 50s onwards: all those back-up singer "shawally-wally doobi-dahs" that we looked at here:-

https://www.musicbanter.com/pop/9338...r-english.html