Music Banter - View Single Post - Underrated Pink Floyd Song: Jugband Blues
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2021, 05:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

I agree all the way, Tubeileh! I have always loved this song too; I like the way it lurches through its unpredictable sections and feels longer than it actually is:-

I couldn't resist playing it again, soaking up that swirling, mysterious air of sad fun that is doomed from the start. People have said that L.A. Woman is a song that sounded the death-knell on the hippies' summer-of-love optimism, and I feel like this song does something similar - regretfully wiping the smile off the chirpy face of 60s psychedelic pop.

I'm probably over-stating the case a little, as, to be pedantic, I think you did as well, Tubeileh: this wasn't really his goodbye song to the world because he went on to make a couple of solo albums. As I'm sure you know, after standing down from Floyd, he continued writing and recording a bunch of material. Here's a sad look at how things stood with Syd two years after Jugband; still going through the motions of pop stardom even as his world began falling apart:-