Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart's Album Discography Reviews: Genesis
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2021, 01:37 PM   #23 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Yeah I'm with you there. If he notices it, expect a stout and vigorous defence of this album by Neapolitan; we've had knock-down rows over it. I swear, when I first heard this, as it says in the first sentence, I almost gave Genesis up as a bad job. I could not believe how trite and poppy it sounded. In fact, the stage was set before I heard the album as the single, and title track, was on the radio, and I could not believe when the DJ said that's the new single from Genesis. You know, now I think about it, he might even have said the new single from Phil Collins, which would not have surprised me.

I don't hate the album, but I never listen to it and it's right down there at the bottom of the pile with the debut. Even Calling All Stations gets more love than Abacab does from me (though that isn't much - there's not a hell of a lot between the two albums). I can acknowledge the quality of maybe four tracks, as I say above, but for the rest, Phil can just go shove his horns and his samba rhythms and his written-out-on-the-toilet lyrics right back where they came from.