Music Banter - View Single Post - The Grateful Dead
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2021, 06:51 AM   #104 (permalink)
Mucha na Dziko
Go ahead, Mr. Wendal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeileh View Post
Yeah cause I listened to Terrapin Session and it was honestly just really boring. Ive heard so much about them and then it was just a whole lot of nothing, at least for me.
Terrapin Station is pretty bad. Though one song is great IMO, that being Estimated Prophet.

Then again, if you want to get into the Dead, don't start with the studio albums (unless it's American Beauty, Workingmen's Dead or Blues For Allah).

As you probably know, the Dead are best known for their live performances. The Dead themselves acknowledged it, and often said so.
And, yeah, they're much better on the stage than in the studio.

I got into them just a few months back, before that I only knew that they existed and I knew a couple of songs from aforementioned American Beauty and Workingmen's Dead (those being Friend of the Devil, Box of Rain, Truckin, Casey Jones and Cumberland Blues, pretty basic stuff). But then I watched the Netflix Bob Weir documentary (Weir being the rhythm guitarist of the band), and as I watched it a few tracks caught my ear; especially Jack Straw.

And then it began.

If you'd like to give them a second chance, I'd recommend you start with:

1. Jack Straw – Paris, Europe '72 tour

2. Help On The Way – Dick's Picks Vol.3

3. China Cat Sunflower – Paris, Europe '72 tour

4. Brown Eyed Women – Denmark, Europe '72 tour

5. Jimmy Row – Live at Cornell University 1977

6. The Other One – Live at Fillmore East, 1969

And then work your way in whatever direction suits you most.

People often say that their first album, the live Live/Dead from 1969 is a good place to start, but I'd say it's for the hardcore fans, as most of the songs sound like they're playing on acid (which is probably true). So if you'll check out the songs I've listed above, and find yourself interested or in awe of the band then maybe head out to Live/Dead, to see their psychedelic jam side.

Mucha na Dziko is offline   Reply With Quote