Music Banter - View Single Post - Are Boards of Canada pro Pedophilia?
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2021, 03:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

I know virtually nothing about BOC but I think their "Don't Fear the Reaper" is gre - oh, wait. You mean the other BOC!

Seriously, I doubt you can ascribe feelings or themes of paedophilia without having very good examples, and the idea of children being killed by fire (the only one you cited) does not seem like it would be enough in itself. Are they not just trying to highlight (if anything) how cruel the world is for and to children? I mean, Black Sabbath have a song called "Children of the Grave", but nobody ever directed this accusation/assumption in their direction. Ditto with Marillion, who wrote an entire album based on the rape of a teenager but nobody accuses them of being paedophiles. On the other hand, Lostprophets did NOT write about such things and yet had a paedophile singer.

So I think it's probably important to separate the art from the personalities, the fantasy (if any) from the reality, and not to read too much into what could be a simple message in a song not meant to convey anything more than a fictional account or a comment on society.