Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official "Music Was So Much Better in the Glorious Days of Yore" Thread
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2021, 09:42 AM   #1002 (permalink)
rubber soul
Call me Mustard

I was born late in 1961. I honestly hadn't heard of Paul Whiteman until maybe twenty years ago to be honest. Duke Ellington I knew about early on but more on reputation. I didn't really hear any of his music until after he died.

Everyone seemed to know about Bing Crosby and Frank Sinatra when I was a kid. Heck, I remember the Minute Maid commercials Crosby would hawk for. Of course, I knew Crosby from the On the Road movies with Bob Hope and some of the bad crooning imitations of him mostly. I also remember it being a big deal when he died, almost as big as Presley who had died earlier that year.

And, of course, Sinatra was all over the place, in music, movies, TV, the alleged mob ties in the news, etc. Yeah, I guess if you insulate yourself enough, you may not have heard about the Beatles, or anyone else. But it would be awfully hard.

I can get someone never having heard an artist's music, but not at least knowing the name? That's a little hard to imagine.
rubber soul is offline   Reply With Quote