Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart's Album Discography Reviews: Tom Waits
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2021, 05:51 AM   #25 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Thank you so much for providing MBers with a breakdown of TW's discography, Trollheart! It has been the perfect introduction for me with my "should get round to listening to him one day" attitude to the great man.

So far, I've only read about the first few albums, playing your selected clips on the assumption that you've picked the most memorable songs to showcase each album. Favourites so far: Depot, depot, Eggs&Sausage, Hope I don't Fall In Love.

The lyrics are so cool and clever, but I struggle to accept his voice. Another problem has been how well, and how consistently he evokes a mood; the boozy after-hours jazz club of regret. Often, I'm not much in the mood to go to that place; I'm like a tourist, putting my head in at the door of TW's murkey bar, but deciding, "You know what? I think I'll walk in the park and get some fresh air instead."

Anyway, I will continue to read your thread because (skimming) Blue Valentine appears to be a good album.
Thanks again,TH