Music Banter - View Single Post - When did Music Features become popular?
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2021, 10:35 AM   #12 (permalink)
bob_32_116
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mucha na Dziko View Post
I mean, yeah, sure, „feat.” is always justified, if there’s multiple performers on a track, I guess.

Though I think it isn’t needed really.
If someone makes a guest appearance on your track, you can just put that person’s name in the credits on the album.
If someone co-writes with you a track (as was the case with that Gotye song) you can release it as a one-off single („Somebody That I Used To Know by Gotye & Kimbra”), and not put it on your album to boost sales.
Just like you’d do in the good old days.

[That’s another thing entirely, but I’m also a strong believer in not putting singles on albums. Just make up your mind, goddamit!]
I don't want to buy singles - at least not in physical form. I'd rather "non-album singles" were not a thing. By all means release it as a single for those who only want that song, but include it on an album as well, I say.

As for "like you'd do in the good old days", I'm not sure what era you are talking about, but my recollection of the 1960s and 1970s was that most singles also appeared on albums. Indeed, they were often seen as a means to entice people to buy the album. For me, that was an effective strategy, because radio stations in the 1960s rarely played album cuts, and there were many occasions when I heard a single, liked it, and was thereby encouraged to check out the album to decide if it was worth buying.

Remember, the original rationale for releasing and buying albums was as a budget package of songs, since it was possible to produce an album with, say, twelve songs, for less than six times the cost of a two-sided single. It was only later on, beginning in the late 60s or early 70s, that we started to see the album considered as a p[roduct in itself.

Last edited by bob_32_116; 11-08-2021 at 10:59 AM.
bob_32_116 is offline   Reply With Quote