Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart's Album Discography Reviews: Genesis
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2021, 01:33 AM   #36 (permalink)
bob_32_116
Music Addict

There are some decent tracks on Invisible Touch, but the title track is not one of them. The other single "Land of Confusion" I like better, though I find the lyrics a bit naive and amateurish.

"Domino" does indeed hearken back a little to the classic Genesis sound, though more so on the first part than the second, which gets a bit poppy and shouty towards the end. "Tonight x3" is actually rather good. I am also quite fond of "The Brazilian", a very uncharacteristic instrumental that nevertheless works quite well.

People tend to discuss this new direction of the band as though it was entirely led by Phil Collins, but they forget that he had been a part of the band since Nursery Cryme, and had been the de facto frontman since A Trick of the Tail. Also, from what I know about Tony Banks, "the quiet one", nothing the band did would have happened without at least his tacit approval, if not active support. I think a better explanation is that the band, all three of them, got besotted by observing the stratospheric success of Phil Collins' pop-oriented solo efforts, and could not resist seeing if the same thing would work for the band. And it did, for a while.
bob_32_116 is offline   Reply With Quote