Music Banter - View Single Post - The Confessional Thread
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2021, 01:57 PM   #4112 (permalink)
ribbons
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plankton View Post
No worries ribbons. That's all in the past, and Hanna and me have moved well beyond it all. Hanna still see's her mother (who recently OD'ed again I might add) from time to time, so she at least has a relationship with her. I've always told her that even though it may not appear to be the case on may occasions, that her mother still loves her very much. One thing I've learned from personal experience is to foster understanding and acceptance of a child's parents no matter what. I was denied that and was taught to hate my Dad, who I later found again and developed a beautiful relationship with later in life before his passing. Only in certain extreme cases should a child be kept from their natural birth parents. Those are the most important, organic, and personal connections a child/person can have.

You seem to have a healthy grasp of that concept too, which isn't surprising. You're one of the good ones.
Glad that Hanna has developed a relationship with her mother, but sorry to hear about her mother’s recent OD. I gather substance abuse has been part and parcel of Hanna’s mom’s issues throughout the years. I hope for your family’s sake that she will one day find lasting treatment and recovery, because she may be a very different person indeed without substance use.

I agree it’s very important not to villify the other parent but rather to encourage a comprehension of the other parent’s behavior (e.g., mental illness, substance abuse) while emphasizing to children that they are loved by the other parent, even if the love is not readily apparent.

Thanks again, Plank – you’re definitely one of the good ones and Hanna is so fortunate to have you as a dad.
ribbons is offline   Reply With Quote