Music Banter - View Single Post - Will Biden be another one term president?
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2021, 08:20 PM   #14 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

When asked what was the most difficult thing about being Prime Minister, Mrs. Thatcher famously replied, "Events", and there are so many events that can happen between now and 2024. How, for example, will covid and the economy play out over the coming years? Will Trump's legal troubles make him ineligible to run?

But the big one to me is, Will the US still have a democracy in 2024? It's present democratic status is "backsliding". Gerrymandering, voter suppresion continues, as does the Republicans plan to build partisanship into the fabric of vote counting, etc, Here's an article from a British newspaper about what's happening:-

"Terrifying for American democracy": https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...up-republicans

Tied up to this is how much impact the televised Jan 6th Committee hearings will have. If enough people notice the coup that the GOP attempted, the Dems should be in a stronger position, because the decision should come down to democracy vs.third-world-type nepotistic autocracy. If they think that far ahead, even Trump supporters might not like the idea of Javanka coming back to snap up every White House job title available, like they did last time.

But even if things go well for Biden in the next 2 years, I suspect he will be a one-termer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb View Post
To not back your own incumbent is not a good play imo.
He's already the oldest Pres ever, I believe, so I think it would be credible if the Dems have him retire, out of concern for his age. And of all the people mentioned so far, I like the idea of Stacey Abrams best. She'll be a more vigorous fighter for the Dems when Biden's "reach across the aisle" rhetoric has floundered on the blatant obstructionism of the GOP.