Music Banter - View Single Post - Coronavirus: COVID-19
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2021, 05:22 PM   #4175 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo View Post
My fiance's mom got Covid. She had a mild case and survived. My fiance's aunt, only a few year older got Covid. She spent FIVE MONTHS strapped to a ventilator and f*cking died.
To me, this is in many ways the scariest category to fall into. Who amongst us could endure or afford five months in an ICU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteater View Post
And in all that time, we get like what, one death in the U.K. from it?
Quote:
Twelve people across Britain have now died after catching the Omicron variant of Covid.

The latest figures from the UK Health Security Agency also show 104 people have been admitted to hospital with confirmed Omicron infections.

Some 12,133 new confirmed cases of Omicron were also reported on Sunday, bringing the total across the UK to 37,101.

However, these figures are likely to be undercounting the true numbers, as not all Covid cases are checked in labs to ascertain if they are the Omicron variant or not.

Experts on the government’s Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage) have warned there are probably already hundreds of thousands of new Omicron infections every day in England alone.
Rostasi's stats paint a truer picture of the situation than yours, Anteater. By simultaneously focusing on and reducing the number of deaths, you are making a couple of mistakes that are common among anti-vaxers:-
i) ignoring the idea Frownland just mentioned about free-circulating covid cooking up its next mutation.
ii) ignoring all the collateral health problems that are caused because ICU beds are full of covid patients. The shear number of hospitalizations that happen all at once during a covid surge guarantees that there will be preventable deaths from other causes that won't register in your dismissive "one death" total.