Music Banter - View Single Post - Will Biden be another one term president?
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2021, 06:50 AM   #96 (permalink)
rubber soul
Call me Mustard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb View Post
We have two parties and according to you one of them is the savior of democracy and the other is a threat to democracy. That's not a real choice. That's the freedom to keep voting party line no matter what, keeping the same group perpetually in office, and when things don't work out just blame the common mouth breathers for not falling in line.
I vote party line more because of philosophy but I'm not naive when had things been reversed, it would have been the Dems threatening Democracy as a way to stay in power
Not my fault that the US effectively only has 2 parties, and in fact I have asked before why there isn't a third party in US politics, as there is in many democratic countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
^ HaHa! Fair enough. Perhaps she should've stuck to her old job as DA; it suited her character better, I think. In fact it probably formed her character.
Yeah, I question why Biden chose her to begin with, especially after she tried to torpedo him in the primaries by suggesting he was a racist.

Quote:
Is the bit in bold really "according to me"? Isn't there sufficient evidence now that the GOP are:-
i) installing partisan officials in whatever electorial position they can
ii) repressing voting by reducing ballot boxes among other sim disincentives
iii) encouraging their supporters to intimidate electoral officials who don't follow the GOP party line
iii) not accepting the 2020 election result despite Bill Barr, 60 courts and (I think) the FBI saying there's no evidence of fraud.
iv) downplaying or covering up an attempted coup on and about Jan 6th
v) supporting the instigator of the coup, perhaps as candidate in the next Presidential election
Back to jwb. Yes, the present GOP is guilty of all these things. But don't call the Dems innocent from a historical standpoint. The old machine politics that were once prevalent in cities had a reputation of doing very "democratic" things like ballot stuffing and intimidation of opponents. The Dems did it more on the local level historically, but that doesn't make it more noble.

Quote:
Also not my fault if "Democracy or not?" is a pretty binary question. The Dems have done very few of the above, so yeah, I'd say they come across as the saviours of democracy, even if that democracy isn't "full" according to world rankings.
I don't know who can save our Democracy. I sense that Biden would like to be that savior, but the problem doesn't lie with him or even with Trump. Blame it on Capitalism if you want, Batty (and I think it's pretty flawed as well), but ultimately, the problem is us.
rubber soul is offline   Reply With Quote